Last Updated on July 5, 2022 by Rebecca Huff
My avocado lime crema is a simple condiment that makes your favorite tex-mex tastier. Makes boring tacos more exciting and adds the wow-factor to anything on which it is drizzled, dolloped, or poured.
What is avocado lime crema?
While most people would consider Avocado Lime Crema a condiment; we sometimes use this one like a dip. For example, in place of guacamole with chips or cut vegetables.
Because this condiment is made with yogurt instead of sour cream it contains probiotics. I appreciate that my kids are getting a good dose of probiotics with the yogurt along with the healthy fats from the avocado.
How to make
When I shared my Thai Chicken Tacos with Beet Infused Pickled Onions recipe, a friend asked: “what is avocado lime crema?” So, while this recipe is very simple, it's nice to know exactly how to whip some up to make all your meals magical.
Because avocado = magic.
Avocados tends to go brown pretty quickly. There are a couple of ways you can keep this fresh longer, but I recommend making it right before you serve the dish.
- I have tried adding a lime wedge to the leftovers in a jar which kept beautifully until I could finish it off
- Put an avocado pit in with the crema in a jar
- Keep the avocado lime crema in a squeeze bottle, (filled to the top preferably)
Avocado Lime Crema
- One large avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt my preference is Siggi's Triple Cream
- Zest from 1 lime save lime for juice
- Juice from 1 lime you can use the zested lime
- 1 clove garlic finely minced almost to a paste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Zest lime and set aside
- Juice the zested lime into a mini food processor, add in the avocado, yogurt, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Blend well, sprinkle on the lime zest.
Avocado and yogurt make an excellent and healthy combination. You can pair this dip or topping with your favorite recipe to see that it goes with almost anything. It can even take the place of mayonnaise.
Try Avocado Lime Crema with:
- Easy Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
- Chile Lime Steak Fajitas Four Ways with Low Carb Options
- Easy BBQ Chicken Nachos with Root Vegetable Chips
- Healthy Nachos for the Entire Family
- Any dish you make for Taco Tuesday
- Along with Simple Cheese Dip at a party
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Hash or any other type of savory sweet potato dish
For a dairy-free version, you can use plain unsweetened coconut milk yogurt. There are so many ways to incorporate Avocado Lime Crema into your meals. A fun way to use this is to put it in a squeeze bottle for squeezing on tacos, burritos, enchiladas and more.
Kechagia, Maria et al. “Health benefits of probiotics: a review.” ISRN nutrition vol. 2013 481651. 2 Jan. 2013, doi:10.5402/2013/481651