Last Updated on December 20, 2022 by Rebecca Huff
Studies now show that a protein-packed breakfast keeps you feeling fuller, burning more fat and eating less, all day.
Eating Protein for breakfast is Step Two in my 12 Steps to Achieving Superior Health, it is THAT important!
Replace High Carb Breakfasts with Protein Filled to Burn fat
One mistake often made with breakfast meals is eating Standard American Diet high carb breakfast foods. So many are over processed and sugar laden. Waffles, cereal, toast, muffins, bagels and fast food sandwiches, are by far some of the worst choices on a breakfast plate.
Eating a high carb breakfast is basically creating metabolic disasters all day. In turn these metabolic disasters create excess body fat and diseases related to obesity.
Many experts do stress the need for more protein but forget to warn folks about eating too many carbs. Research has shown that starting the day with high-quality protein sources can improve anxiety disorders, in addition to other benefits.
Most people consume enough protein at dinner, but need to increase their protein intake at breakfast.
Here are some protein packed breakfast ideas:
- Fast food: Protein Shakes and Smoothies are great for breakfast try some of these recipes:
- Reese's Protein Smoothie by Dr. Axe
- Very Berry Smoothie
- Dr. Mercola demonstrates his own protein shake recipe on this YouTube Video
- Boiled eggs with hot sauce (we love hot sauces from Acid League) is a great on the go protein source.
- Try scrambled eggs with different combinations of vegetables and cheese. For example, try my Ratatouille Omelet. If you are trying to lose weight, skip the toast or other carby type breakfasts, because as we have learned fat+carbs=slow weight loss. (read more in the book Trim Healthy Mama)
- I love making protein pancakes using the Pristine Whey Protein Powder from Trim Healthy Mamas. This is how I do it: Pristine Protein Pancakes.
- I found a great recipe for Greek Yogurt Protein Pancakes as well, even my children loved this recipe.
- Breakfast burritos are a great way to incorporate protein into your mornings. Try adding scrambled egg whites with beans and veggies to Paleo Wraps.
- If you need inspiration HERE is a great recipe by Tana Amen, author of the The Omni Diet: The Revolutionary 70% PLANT + 30% PROTEIN Program to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, Fight Inflammation, and Change Your Life Forever (another book I absolutely love!)
- Try eggs ranchero if you want to incorporate beans into your breakfast.
- If you happen to have left over chicken in your fridge, make this Super Surprise Frittata
- Love french toast? Try making it Trim Healthy Mama style with this recipe just use a quality protein powder (see link in #4 above)
- Low fat cottage cheese with a generous handful of berries makes a great breakfast and has a good amount of protein as well. If you like yours a little sweeter, try adding some stevia.
- There’s no reason why you couldn’t have some tuna salad for breakfast either, try my recipe for upgraded tuna salad!
- Maybe for a special occasion you want to try steak for breakfast
If you have access to free range organic eggs and are adventurous, you could try a shake with raw eggs, however I would definitely NOT try this with store bought eggs.
We like to eat breakfast for dinner sometimes, and why not? Dinner tends to be more well-balanced than breakfast or lunch, so take a cue from your dinner plate.
For visual inspiration you can also Follow ThatOrganicMom's board Protein Packed Breakfasts on Pinterest.
If you are a big fan of protein powders, you have to check out my favorite Protein Powder cookbook! I absolutely love this book!
For visual inspiration
Follow ThatOrganicMom's board Protein Packed Breakfasts on Pinterest.
If you have already been following the advice of experts for a while, eating protein heavy breakfast and avoiding carbs, you might want to take the next step in achieving superior health by trying intermittent fasting. It's definitely not for everyone, but some of us can really benefit from extended periods of rest from the digestive process. You can read more about intermittent fasting in Jordan Rubin’s book, The Maker’s Diet Revolution.
Step one was to stop drinking your calories, especially sodas, so hopefully you have already achieved that goal. Read more of my tips on achieving superior health!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.