Five things I do every morning that change my perspective, help me feel productive, and set me up for a good day.
If you are part of the TOM Tribe, likely we have talked together about anxiety. Before I knew what was happening to me, I described it as being extremely overwhelmed to the point of feeling paralyzed. After talking with a therapist, I understood that I was experiencing anxiety.
Many people have learned to live with a full-blown obsessive-compulsive disorder, which can be crippling. Since creating the TOM site, I have met many others who have OCD tendencies, like myself. Anxiety can often lead to depression, and a vicious cycle begins.
Keeping things decluttered and organized (without going overboard) has helped me to avoid that feeling of being overwhelmed. Having methods in place that give me a sense of being in control over my environment helps tremendously.
I homeschool my children and run a small business. Because my home is also where I work, it's crucial for me to designate work, teaching, cleaning, and family times. Starting my day without a routine can send me on a downward spiral.
Now you know why there are five things that I do each morning to get my day started off on the right foot. I can share the things I do at night that help me have better mornings in another post…
Five things I do each morning
- Drink a full glass of water which I bring into my bedroom the night before. I have to take my thyroid medication 30 minutes before eating/drinking anything else. So, I do this the moment my eyes open; sit up and hydrate. Even if I didn't have to take anything, I would still drink my water.Drinking a full glass of water in the morning jump starts your metabolism, flushes out toxins your body has been working to clear overnight, and hydrates you.
- One of the best ways to make a bedroom look clean is always to make the bed. Making my bed right when I get out of it is easier than doing it later in the day. Before I even get out from under the covers, I pull them up and straighten them a bit, which makes finishing up faster.My children have asked me why I make up my bed each day when I'm just going to mess it up again that night. Other than it looks better, I've tried to think of an answer; which led me to think back to when the habit started. During my teen years is the only time I can remember not making my bed in the morning. That means the habit had to start during my military days.
- Drink my ONE cup of coffee – I'm not going to lie, this is what I start looking forward to before I go to bed each night. There are two beliefs when it comes to coffee; either it's good for you, or it's bad for you. Naturally, I take the side of coffee being good for your health. One caveat, for some of us with adrenal fatigue, chronic illness, or in the process of doing a detox, caffeine should be limited.
For the last few years it has been my habit to try limiting myself to one fantastic cup each morning; heavy cream, no sugar. After that, I drink herbal or green tea, water, or sparkling water.
- Start the washer – mine is located upstairs so I do this before I head downstairs. Since my zero waste efforts, I wash more towels than when I used paper towels.Are you in the wash all on one day camp or the load per day camp? One of my friends and I discussed this at length years ago. She liked to do the laundry all on one day. I preferred to spend a little time each day. Every morning I start a load of laundry. Later, I rotate, fold and put away. I find it less overwhelming when it doesn't pile up, which is why I do ONE load every day.On a side note, my kiddos all either do their own laundry, or they help me. My rule is as soon as you can reach the knobs you wash your own!
- Empty the dishwasher before making breakfast. Even when I worked full time outside my home, I would empty my dishwasher before leaving the house. Coming home to an empty dishwasher means you can clean as you go while making dinner. That means more time to chill and less time in the kitchen at the end of the day. Not to mention, if the dishwasher is full we end up piling our dishes in the sink and counter beside the sink. Let's face it, with 6-8 people in the house it can get messy pretty fast.
After these five things, I'm ready to take on the day!
What do you to in the morning to make your day go better? Share in the comments, I'd love to hear about how you start your day!