Last Updated on June 29, 2022 by Rebecca Huff
When faced with hardships in life, we have two choices. We can overcome and use these challenges to become stronger and better, or we can be defeated and give up.
Diagnosed with diabetes
Not too long ago, I read an inspiring story about a young man diagnosed with diabetes. Krishna Kaliannan, the founder of Catalina Crunch, was struggling to control his blood sugar, while at the same time, his weight was skyrocketing.
Around this time, Krishna got a call from his doctor, who told him his blood sugar level was 212, and he needed to lose 25 pounds. His doctor reiterated that he needed to get his act together to lose weight and get his blood sugar levels under control right away.
With a new determination, Krishna headed to the supermarket to find something new and exciting to eat that would meet his requirements. Those were:
- Zero sugar
- High in protein
- High in fiber
- Low in empty carbs
The struggle to find something that fit this description was real! For a while, Krishna ate mostly eggs, nuts, and meat. He started wishing for a breakfast that would taste like the crunchy sweet bowls of cereal he ate as a kid. Sadly, at that time, this product didn’t exist.
The birth of a low carb cereal
Krishna was now on a mission to create his cereal recipe. That is when Catalina Crunch was born.
Catalina Crunch is a crunchy sweet cereal that has zero sugar, only 5g net carbs per bowl, 8g plant protein, and 7g plant fiber. Check out all of the nutritional benefits:
- Low Carb
- Zero Sugar / Zero Sugar Alcohols
- Packed with 8g Plant Protein for Energy
- Packed with 7g Plant Fiber To Keep You Full and Promote Gut Health
- Gluten + Grain-Free
- Paleo Friendly
- Majority Organic
- Made with All-Natural Ingredients
- No Artificial Anything
- Contains Turmeric to help fight inflammation and boost immunity
In this episode of A Healthy Bite, I’m talking to Krishna about his journey, greenwashing, health, nutrition, and how he created my favorite low carb cereal! You can get 10% off your purchase of Catalina Crunch using my affiliate link and coupon code TOM10.
Krishna is thrilled to have the chance to put a little childhood excitement back in your morning and satisfy your sweet tooth! So, don’t give up on your childhood dreams! Catalina Crunch is bringing them back! Plus, if you want a cheesy snack with crunch, try the cheese bites.
Make sure you check out my dessert recipe using Catalina Crunch: Low Carb Salted Caramel Peanut Crunch Chocolate Bars!
Topics we discuss in this episode
I know you are the founder of Catalina Crunch, but you also are a frequent speaker at nutrition events, right?
So what’s the most deceptive practice you see other food companies using to trick people into buying their products?
A few years ago, you were diagnosed with diabetes – what was your biggest problem meal at that time?
Why do you think so many people in America have a chronic disease in spite of wealth, education, and technology?
So let’s talk about Glyphosate showing up in so many cereals. What is Glyphosate, and why should we care? What does science say about it?
Catalina Crunch Cereals are Glyphosate-Free, right, you had it tested?
More on quitting sugar:
If you want to know more about why and how I quit sugar, or try some sugar-free recipes here are a few articles:
- 14 Things We Do to Lower the Risk of Metabolic Syndrome
- Blame it all on sugar; the white stuff is killing us
- Beating Sugar Addiction: 3 Scientifically Proven Cornerstones of Success
- Pantry Makeover; ditch the sugar!
- Balance Blood Sugar for Better Results from Your Workout
- Break the Sugar Addiction Menu Plan
- Week 2 Break Sugar Addiction Menu Plan
- Week 3 Break the Sugar Addiction Menu Plan
- Week 4 Break the Sugar Addiction with BONUS
- Step 6 Replace Sugary Desserts and Treats
- Low Carb Salted Caramel Peanut Crunch Chocolate Bars