People often ask me how to buy a mattress online without “testing” it out first. Think about it like this, have you ever tried on shoes in the store only to wear them later and realize they are incredibly uncomfortable? Happened to me recently and it was miserable. It is possible to like a pair of shoes, try them on, walk around in them, purchase the right size, then find them impossible to wear for more than 30 minutes!
Shop for a mattress online
It’s the same with shopping a mattress store. Because I recommend, sleep on, and offer a 20% off coupon (TOM20) on The Bed Boss mattresses and pillows, people regularly ask me how to buy a mattress online without first testing it out in the store.
In my opinion, going to a mattress store to “try out” different beds has limited benefits. First of all, it’s more important to know your sleep position, which has a lot more to do with what type of mattress you should buy than the “feel” of a mattress you lay down on for a couple of minutes.
In the past, I purchased different types of mattresses after testing out in store and ended up miserable with my selection. (Sleep number and Sealy Posturpedic are two I’ve returned)
Comparison shopping in mattress stores is not as simple as say, with blenders. The only thing that stays the same no matter what mattress brand is the size. The names and types of beds are all over the place! It’s worse than picking out a box of cereal.
Just because a mattress is expensive does not mean it is the best choice for you; on the other hand, a cheap mattress may not last more than a few years.
Automatically buying a particular mattress just because the brand name is popular can also be a mistake. Popularity does not mean you will like the mattress. For example, millions of people love roller coasters, but that doesn’t mean you will.
You can successfully buy a mattress online that you will love. In the past decade, using the method below, I have purchased all of our beds without first “testing” them out. To be fair, if you’re going to “test” a mattress, you really should sleep on it at least one night, not just lay on it for a few minutes.
Rather than searching “mattress stores near me” followed by hours or days of driving all over town, dealing with salespeople, and being pressured; shopping online means you can save your gas money, do the research based on facts, not feelings, all from home.
Figuring out how to buy a mattress online is easier when you know what you are looking for:
- Do I need the mattress now or can I extend the life of my mattress a bit longer with a mattress topper?
- Based on my sleep position which mattress firmness is right for me? Use the mattress comfort scale to determine what type of mattress is best for you. Body size is also a factor; big boned people and small people may have very different needs. See mattress comfort scale.
- Do I prefer a foam, spring or hybrid mattress?
- What are my top priorities? No toxins, low price, must be firm/soft, coils and springs, memory foam, pillow top, etc.
- What size mattress do I need?
- Will this mattress come with a warranty?
- Has this mattress been previously returned? Does this company allow “test periods” and if so what do they do with the returned mattresses? – It is illegal to resell a mattress once it has been “tested” but did you know that some companies illegally rebag them in plastic and selling them as new mattresses? For this reason, I tend to stay away from mattress warehouses. State laws that govern the sale and tagging of used and sanitized mattresses or mattresses that use recycled materials and the degree of enforcement of the laws varies widely from state to state. (source) Imagine the waste though, of the companies that end up destroying the mattresses? Recycling a mattress is very labor intensive as most of it has to be done by hand.
- How long do I want this mattress to last vs. how long it can reasonably last?
- When do I need the mattress?
- Have I read mattress reviews on the companies website?
- What do I know about the company, will I be satisfied with how the company does business, how they treat customers, their ethics?
After you have considered these questions, you are ready to shop for your mattress!
Why I prefer memory foam:
- Silent under all conditions, meaning when your partner gets out of bed you won’t hear noises from the mattress
- Absorbs movement made by a partner if you share a bed, for undisturbed sleep even when your partner is tossing and turning!
- No need to flip most memory foam mattress, only rotate about 3-4 times per year
- Contours to the body which provides a better weight distribution, therefore, eliminating pain in pressure points
Why we choose The Bed Boss
I’ve been a big fan of The Bed Boss mattresses and have been buying them for my kids and myself long before I started this website. Now that I have ThatOrganicMom as a platform to share all of the best stuff I use, I am an affiliate for the company, which means when people use my coupon code TOM20 to save 20% on a mattress from The Bed Boss, I will receive a commission from the company. This post is NOT sponsored. My reason for writing this post is simply to answer a question for everyone who asks me how they can know they’ll actually love the mattress they buy if they shop online.
Besides the fact that the mattresses are heavenly to sleep on, I choose them because of their ethic and values. The Bed Boss supports organizations that transform the lives of women, children, and families; organizations like Mercy Multiplied, Buckner International, and others.
Do you practice good sleep hygiene? One of the top factors in maintaining good health is getting quality sleep on a regular basis. As parents, it’s also important to make sure our children are learning good sleep habits. Use this sleep calculator to figure out what time your kiddos should go to bed.
What happens to that mattress when you return it or …
February 01, 2018