My green curry coconut fish soup is a take on the Thai dish Tom Ka Plah (or Tom Ka Pla.) It is a rich, creamy, tangy sweet and sour soup made with coconut milk and fish, among other flavorful ingredients.
Tom Ka Pla is low in carbohydrates, which makes it perfect for you if you are following a low-sugar, low-carb, keto, or even Trim Healthy Mama diet plans. It's also very rich, so you will feel satiated after eating it. With the sweet, sour, and spicy combo of this delicious dish from Thailand, you will be making this soup on a weekly basis.
So what does Tom Ka Pla actually mean in Thai? Well, “tom” means to boil, “Kha” is a type of ginger, and “plah or pla” is fish. Simple, right?
Whitefish is a healthy source of protein, that while lower in omega-3s than fatty fish like salmon, it contains less mercury than other popular fish such as tuna. Cod is also a good source of B vitamins. Coldwater fish like cod is shown to be beneficial for people with atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease. Regular consumption lowers the risk of heart disease.
You will enjoy using cod as it is a firm fish that can be used for baking, broiling, frying, boiling, and many other methods of preparation.
Thai Green Curry Coconut Fish Soup
- 1 pound cod cut into bite sized cubes (or halibut or any white fish you like)
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2.5 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 - 13.5 ounce can coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 3 large handfuls spinach leaves
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté red onion in soup pan with avocado oil till tender.
- Add cod to pan, salt to taste, turning the fish.
- Next, add broth and coconut milk, continue cooking over medium.
- Add green curry paste and continue cooking until fish is done, about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the fish cubes.
- After the fish is cooked, stir in the spinach leaves, one handful at a time; leaves will wilt quickly.
- Add lime juice, stir gently.
- Top the soup with green onions to serve.
Adding a fish soup to your diet is an easy way to take a baby step towards healthy living. I hope you will give it a try.
If you're adding more fish to your diet try these recipes as well: