My absolute favorite fruit is lemons and even better if it’s a Meyer lemon!
Meyer lemons are rounder and smaller than regular lemons and have a taste that is like a mix between a lemon and mandarin oranges. If you find regular lemons too tart, you will appreciate Meyer lemons.
I’m a lemon lover who enjoys eating lemons, even the peel appeals to me? See what I did there?
If you aren’t zesting lemons you haven’t started eating yet! Go buy a zester and get zesting! Particularly, Meyer lemons have a fragrant and beautiful tasting zest. Zest Meyer lemons on top of fish, chicken, salad, pasta, rice, lemon cake, donuts – whatever you’d like to impart a citrusy flavor to.
Rich and Creamy Meyer Lemon Curd
- 1 block Kerrygold butter (or two sticks of organic butter, you need one cup)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups sweetener of your choice, I use 1 cup powdered erythritol
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- zest from one Meyer lemon, optional
- In a double boiler add water about halfway, but not touching the bottom of the top pan.
- To the top pan, add butter, sweetener and salt whisking until sweetener dissolves. (I recommend starting with 1 cup sweetener then adding the extra 1/4 cup if necessary)
- Continue whisking while adding the lemon juice.
- Followed by egg yolks, whisking continually.
- Continue to whisk and cook for about 10-15 minutes until the curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Carefully remove the top pan and put in an ice bath to reduce temperature quickly.
- Strain through mesh strainer and place in containers to refrigerate until ready to use.
- Top with a pinch of zest just before serving if you like that kind of thing!
Using the erythritol produces a slightly different finished texture on the top- basically the way it dries. If you want to avoid the cracked top try covering the lemon curd with cling wrap or something similar.
Oh yeah! Nothing beats the flavor of Meyer lemons!
This recipe also works with regular sugar if that’s what you like.
You might also like to try my Chicken and Pear Arugula Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette or Honey and Meyer Lemon Pepper Roasted Chicken. If you’re a lemon fan, try my daughter’s Lemon Sugar Scrub – a nice DIY recipe for spa day!