Happy National Cupcake Day!
You know, we can think of a million ways to have a celebration, and that means enjoying desserts. Like cupcakes! So, it is important to learn how to enjoy all the fun and wonderful things in life without compromising our health.
Swirled with frosting, covered in sprinkles, dipped in ganache, or drizzled with chocolate, cupcakes are a one-of-a-kind dessert, whimsically versatile for any occasion. They have evolved far and wide from just chocolate and vanilla to fulfill almost all of our dessert dreams and fantasies. Luckily, today is National Cupcake Day, recognized annually on December 15 to commemorate these compact yet delectable sweets. NationalToday.com
We know you’re going to want to indulge in some cupcakes today. Which is why we decided to create a sugar-free cupcake for those of us who reduce our sugar intake. This cupcake is everything you want a cupcake to be: moist, tender, sweet, and delicious with a touch of salt.
Sponsored by Pyure Organic
Low-Carb Healthy Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Our cupcake makes a perfect dessert for anyone trying to live a healthier lifestyle and it also fits the low-carb lifestyle. These salted caramel cupcakes are also gluten-free. Yay!
These cupcakes are so healthy you could actually eat them for breakfast, with or without the frosting. In fact, I made a batch of these without the frosting and used them for my breakfast for about a week.
That’s because the ingredients are full of nutrients. Almonds are rich in antioxidants, particularly Vitamin E, among others. Flax meal is high in fiber but low in carbs; it also contains a type of omega-3 called ALA.
Studies show that alpha-linolenic acid reduces the risk of coronary heart disease and hypertension and reduces inflammation.
The advantages of reducing sugar intake are plentiful. You can read more about how to reap the benefits of reducing sugar here.
Low-Carb Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup golden flax meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup + 3 Tablespoons Pyure Organic Stevia Blend
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Pyure Organic Sugar-Free Harmless Hunny
- 8 ounces cream cheese cold
- 2 tablespoons salted butter softened
- ½ cup Pyure Organic Confectioners Stevia Blend
- 3 tablespoons Pyure Organic Maple Flavored Syrup
- 1 teaspoon caramel extract
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes optional *see note
- For Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a mixer, combine egg whites with cream of tartar. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Using a separate bowl, sift together almond flour, coconut flour, flax meal, salt, baking soda, and Pyure Organic Stevia Blend.
- Stir together the softened butter, coconut cream, Pyure Organic Harmless Hunny, and vanilla extract, then add this mixture to the egg white mixture. Turn mixer on the lowest setting as you begin to add the dry ingredients.
- Do not overmix.
- Scrape down sides and turn the mixer on stir again until the cake batter is mixed.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake pan using a spoon, filling each about 75% full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan before removing it to frost.
- For Frosting
- In a mixer, combine cold cream cheese with softened butter, add Pyure Organic Maple Flavored Syrup and caramel extract.
- Turn off the mixer to add Pyure Organic Confectioners Stevia Blend, turn on the lowest setting until fully incorporated. Scrape down sides, mix again.
- Add to piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes!
- If desired, use optional caramel sauce and Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.
Nutrition Information for Cupcakes with Frosting
Because these cupcakes have caramel extract in the frosting they satisfy your caramel cravings completely. If, however, you want the addition of ooey-gooey caramel sauce on your cupcake, here’s what you can do.
Option 1 – No Sugar Pale Caramel Sauce
The flavor of this caramel sauce is outstanding. Reheat sauce before serving to bring back consistency if it thickens.
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons Pyure Organic Sugar-Free Maple Flavored Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon caramel extract
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, simmer until reduced by half, which could take up to half an hour. (Try to whisk smoothly in one direction for best results.)
Nutrition Information for No Sugar Pale Caramel Sauce
Option 2 – Mineral Rich Coconut Sugar Caramel Sauce
This sauce pours like traditional caramel sauce. If it thickens when it cools, reheat it over low until it is pourable.
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon caramel extract
- Pinch of salt
- Combine coconut sugar, heavy cream, and butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat on a low setting while whisking gently. When the mixture is combined and the butter melted, increase heat to medium. Add in caramel extract and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a full boil for about 2 minutes.
- Let the caramel sauce cool before using or storing it in a jar.
Nutrition Information for Mineral Rich Coconut Sugar Caramel Sauce
You might also like to serve the cupcakes on a salt block – with or without the caramel sauce.
Don’t forget to share this cupcakes recipe!