I love soup! Not only is it fun to create and delicious, it's also so good for you! Especially when you add healthy ingredients like lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and mushrooms!
This soup is easy enough to throw together for a mid-day meal, but nice enough to serve as dinner along with a salad. For my children, I usually serve a bowl of rice or noodles on the side to fill them up.
If you don't make your own bone broth or chicken broth, let me encourage you to start! Keeping some broth in the fridge makes whipping up meals so much easier. Adding broth to various dishes can enhance the flavor enormously.
With this particular soup, I added in a heaping scoop of Thrive 6 from Freshcap Mushrooms just before serving.
Lemongrass Seafood Soup with Bunashimeji Mushrooms
Yield 6 servings
- 1 quart chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 can coconut milk *see note
- several stalks of lemongrass, cut lengthwise
- chunk of ginger
- 1 tsp oil of choice (I use avocado oil)
- Bunashimeji (Beech) Mushrooms, often found in Asian markets, local farmers markets, Whole Foods and other health food stores (or substitute any other mushroom you like)
- Sliced portobello mushrooms (or any mushrooms you like)
- 16 ounces or more Seafood blend (shrimp, scallops, calamari) *see note
- 2 Tablespoons Green Curry Paste
- Dash of Red Boat Fish Sauce
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Clove of garlic, minced (one or more depending on your preference)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Green onions, sliced, optional for topping
- Freshcap Mushroom powder (any kind), optional but highly recommended if you wanna feel amazing!
- Add cut lemongrass stalks to the bottom of your soup pot, cover with the quart of broth, let simmer for 15-20 minutes to infuse the broth with lemongrass flavor, then REMOVE stalks. *see note
- Stir in curry paste.
- Sauté shallot, ginger, garlic one minute, then add mushrooms and sauté till tender.
- Add shallot, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, and coconut milk to broth and turn heat down to low. *see note
- Sauté seafood just until done then add to broth.
- Squeeze lime juice into broth, add dash of Fish Sauce, Sat and Pepper.
- Top with green onions & lime zest.
- Lemongrass stalks can be woody, and are often hard to chew, so take them out of the soup broth unless you want to just avoid them while eating. I left mine in to add flavor, but just avoided them when eating the soup.
- If you like a creamier soup, add two cans of coconut milk.
- Trader Joes has a bag of seafood blend (frozen) that is perfect for this recipe!
Go exploring Asian supermarkets and the produce section of health food stores to find Bunashimeji. They're so cute and yummy! I love cooking with them. They are perfect for stuffing inside an omelet and dozens of other ways. I hope you will go out and find some to give them a try.
My son-in-law and I found this giant wok skillet last year while we were out antiquing together. Such a good memory. Every time I use it I think of him and my daughter and how much I love when they visit us!
Good food and family – my two favorite things in life!
PS – Make sure you save this recipe on Pinterest!