These burritos are made with Wonder Wraps, but if you have a favorite on plan low carb tortilla that you would rather use, go for it! If you are not following Trim Healthy Mama, you can substitute with your favorite tortilla.
You can also cook your quinoa in a rice cooker. That's what I did. I know not everyone has a rice cooker, that is why I wrote the recipe using a sauce pan. If you do have one you can throw all the ingredients in there together, it works great! My zojirushi rice cooker is still working like new after continuous use for the last seven years. I used tricolor quinoa from Trader Joe's but you can use whatever you have in your pantry. It's supposed to be easy!
We really enjoyed my burritos using wonder wraps! I doubled this recipe so we could have them more than once. I also topped mine with some jalapeños my mom canned for me! Yum! Thanks mom! Remember to keep your cheese serving to a “garnish” amount only if you are trying to stay on plan with an E meal here.
Black Bean and Quinoa Burrito - THM Friendly
This is a great gluten free vegetarian option that is great for your digestion. It is full of fiber! This is perfect in an E setting for the Trim Healthy Mama plan. I put full fat cheese on my children's and top theirs with sour cream so they stay in crossover mode! If you like, you can use some fat free sour cream on top and some extra salsa!
- 1/3 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 2/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- juice of one lime
- 1 tomato diced, optional
- 8 wonder wraps, or tortilla (low carb if doing THM, on plan for E)
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish amount of low fat shredded cheese of your choice
- Put quinoa in sauce pan with chicken broth and bring to a boil, add diced onion and red bell pepper, then cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until done. Add beans to quinoa, stir. Leave covered for 5 additional minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Divide mixture among eight wraps and top with cheese, tomato, lettuce and squeeze lime on top before wrapping/rolling.
- Serve immediately.