These burritos are made with Wonder Wraps, but if you have a favorite on plan low carb tortilla that you would rather use, go for it! If you are not following Trim Healthy Mama, you can substitute with your favorite tortilla.
You can also cook your quinoa in a rice cooker. That’s what I did. I know not everyone has a rice cooker, that is why I wrote the recipe using a sauce pan. If you do have one you can throw all the ingredients in there together, it works great! My zojirushi rice cooker is still working like new after continuous use for the last seven years. I used tricolor quinoa from Trader Joe’s but you can use whatever you have in your pantry. It’s supposed to be easy!
We really enjoyed my burritos using wonder wraps! I doubled this recipe so we could have them more than once. I also topped mine with some jalapeños my mom canned for me! Yum! Thanks mom! Remember to keep your cheese serving to a “garnish” amount only if you are trying to stay on plan with an E meal here.
Black Bean and Quinoa Burrito - THM Friendly
- 1/3 cup red quinoa rinsed
- 2/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- juice of one lime
- 1 to mato diced optional
- 8 wonder wraps or tortilla (low carb if doing THM, on plan for E)
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish amount of low fat shredded cheese of your choice
- Put quinoa in sauce pan with chicken broth and bring to a boil, add diced onion and red bell pepper, then cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until done. Add beans to quinoa, stir. Leave covered for 5 additional minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Divide mixture among eight wraps and top with cheese, tomato, lettuce and squeeze lime on top before wrapping/rolling.
- Serve immediately.