Last Updated on June 29, 2022 by Rebecca Huff
I've been making these salmon patties for years but one day I decided to mix it up a bit. There were a few extra bell peppers in my fridge so I decided to use them to hold in my salmon patty mixture and it was such a hit!
Wild-Caught Salmon is a perfect addition to a healthy diet. It boasts the following benefits:
- High in B-Vitamins
- Good source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Good source of high-quality protein
- Excellent source of Potassium, Selenium, and Astaxanthin
- Can help lower the risk of heart disease
- May help fight inflammation
- A weight-loss friendly food
- Reduces the risk of cognitive decline
Choose wild-caught salmon over farmed salmon if at all possible. If you compare wild-caught salmon to farmed salmon the differences are extreme. Wild salmon swims around eating foods natural to their diet, however, farmed salmon are fed corn, soy, chicken and feather meal with an added synthetic form of astaxanthin which is “not approved for human consumption, but is permitted to be used in fish feed.”(1) Fish in their natural environment also spend more time swimming upstream whereas farmed fish are virtual “couch potatoes.” In addition to being a lower quality end product, farming salmon contributes to environmental pollution. (2)
Although this recipe is listed in the dinner category, they do make a delicious packed lunch. When you try them, plan to make extra for lunch the following day. Pair them with a side like purple sweet potatoes and a small salad for a well-balanced meal. If you are following a low carb lifestyle, these go wonderfully with steamed asparagus, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts!
Salmon patties in bell pepper rings also work well as sliders! Try serving them with spicy mustard and a bit of mayo, onions and lettuce on some Hawaiian buns. We have found some at Trader Joe's that do not contain high fructose corn syrup. I've also tried them with these gluten-free Keto buns.
Create different sauce blends to drizzle on top. My kids love BBQ sauce on my Salmon Patties in Bell Pepper Rings! They're also delicious with a tahini drizzle. If you do dairy, try topping them with some parmesan cheese, feta or even a slice of Havarti.
Salmon Patties in Bell Pepper Rings
- 2 - 7.5 ounce or 1 - 15 ounce can wild caught salmon I like this one
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley
- 2 bell peppers
- oil for frying
- Drain salmon and remove bones if desired. (It's healthier to leave them in.)
- Add all ingredients except bell peppers, mixing well.
- Wash and slice the bell peppers into rings about 1/2 - 1 inch thick.
- Fill pepper rings with salmon mixture patting between your hands to pack the mixture in tightly.
- Heat an oiled skillet over medium to high heat.
- Place filled bell pepper rings into hot pan and cook until lightly browned then flip, then cook the second side till browned.
- Remove from heat and serve.
1 – Wild Alaskan Salmon Is a Powerhouse of Nutrition January 02, 2018 https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/15/wild-alaskan-salmon.aspx
2 – Farmed and Dangerous http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmon-farming-problems/
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.