These sweet, spicy, crunchy, refreshing chickpea tacos with sweet chili sauce hit the spot when you're in a hurry. In fact, if you want the process to be even faster, you could buy prechopped veggies and reduce the prep time to 5 minutes!
An excellent main course for meatless Monday, this recipe is a tasty way to make vegan tacos. While I no longer follow a vegan lifestyle, I do try to eat a few meatless meals each week. I'd like to say I follow a Ketogenic diet, but I explore way too many cookbooks to stick to any one style of eating. Although, I admit that I feel best when I'm in nutritional ketosis.
Oh well. Food happens.
If you're following a low carb diet or Ketogenics, you can substitute the black soybeans for the chickpeas. Black soybeans are an excellent bean for keto dieters as they only have 2 grams of net carbs per cup.
Instead of traditional taco shells, we're going to use cauliflower egg wraps. I've also made these with a trim healthy mama wonder wraps, but when you're in a hurry, the premade wraps are faster. Both of these options are gluten-free. This is another nice low carb way to celebrate taco Tuesday. If you only have large tortillas, you can always use the same ingredients to make a burrito.
Truthfully, you can use your imagination to come up with so many variations of vegan tacos. I also have used corn tortillas with black beans to make a similar style taco. Remember recipes are the foundation for expanding your meals with your own imagination.
This dish makes an excellent weeknight meal. The taco filling is hearty enough to stand alone as your main dish, but it also pairs nicely with fajita veggies, a simple salad, or a side of rice. I tend to add a filler dish on the side of all my taco recipes so that my family walks away satisfied.
My son loves tacos of all varieties. Chickpeas might not be the first thing you think of when you get the craving for Mexican food, but trust me, these tacos will make you very happy! Not only are they refreshingly different, but the total time to prepare is faster than going through the drive-through!
Chickpea Tacos with Sweet Chili Sauce and Lime Zest
- 15 ounce Chickpeas canned
- 4 tortillas *see note
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Taco Seasoning, Chili Powder, or BBQ Dry rub
- 1 teaspoon garilc powder
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- small red onion diced
- 1 lime zest and cut into wedges
- sweet chili sauce (sugar-free or make your own)
- 2 green onions sliced on bias
- sour cream
- pickled or regular jalapenos
- Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid for another use if you desire.
- Put chickpeas in a small bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until crumbly (not going for a paste here, just chunky enough so they don't roll out of your taco!)
- Sprinkle on Chili powder or BBQ Dry Rub to taste (we like about 2 teaspoons)
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into your pan to keep chickpeas from sticking.
- Then heat chickpeas on stovetop over medium heat till warmed through, don't let them get crispy!
- To assemble: Add a quarter of the bean mixture to each wrap
- Top with cabbage, onions, red bell pepper, lime zest and lime juice.
- Garnish with green onions and extra optional toppings if you like.
- Drizzle with sweet chili sauce or if you like things a little saucier, use avocado lime crema.
Chickpea Tacos Leftovers Salad
If you have any leftovers, pack them up in a container for your lunch the following day. They actually taste even better the following day. With or without the tortillas, you can eat them straight from the container like a salad!