Last Updated on June 29, 2022 by Rebecca Huff
My kids love to help me in the kitchen… well, most of them… Shredding apples and using the mixer are tasks a seven year old can definitely handle. My oldest daughter made the vanilla extract in the little bottle.
I try to make food for my children that is extremely healthy, but every now and then they just want a good ole pancake. I minimize the sugar intake by using Swerve in place of the sugar and then try to add only a small amount of maple syrup. We never use pancake syrups because most are full of high fructose corn syrup and other junk.
I love using an iron skillet. I gave up all those toxic non stick pans a long long time ago.
If you like you can add a little spoonful of brown sugar to make it extra sweet.
I like to add extra shredded apples to the batter once it's in the pan. If you like cinnamon, sprinkle a bit more on while it's in the pan.
My kids love when I cut things into shapes. You can use little vegetable cutters or Bento Box tools to cut the butter into a fun shape. My teenagers don't really care, but making a flower shape or a animal shapes makes it special for the younger kids!
We often let the camera eat first at our house…
Kids Easy Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour or self rising and leave out the next two ingredients
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder leave out if using self rising
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt leave out if using self rising
- 2 Tablespoons Gentle Sweet see notes below or Stevia to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1 apple grated (peel off if not organic or if kids don't like peeling)
- brown sugar or coconut sugar for topping optional
- butter for frying
- pure maple syrup for topping optional
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder (if not using self rising)
- Combine with egg, milk and stevia
- Stir well
- Add the grated apple and stir gently
- Melt butter in your frying pan (I prefer an iron skillet) over medium-low heat
- With a 1/3 cup measuring cup scoop and pour batter on pan
- When you start seeing bubbles on the surface flip
- Remove from heat when cooked through
- Top with additional butter and pure maple syrup or sauteed shredded apples