I found River Organics in a local spa back in 2017. The packaging sold me, but thankfully the product is equally amazing. Starting with a bronzer and vegan blush stick, I fell in love with cream cosmetics.
Of course, River Organics products are perfect for all skin types, although, I feel they are especially helpful to those of us with aging skin. The makeup sticks hydrate while they impart color. My current favorites are the Mulberry Lip Stain, Rose Quartz Highlighter, Bronzer, and Bloom Blush.
Get 15% off using coupon code TOM15 at River Organics.
River Organics is an independent beauty company, located in Wilmington, North Carolina. Their makeup and skin care line are simple and straightforward. Developed by a husband-wife team, Corinne and Fabien, who have lived in Canada and France.
Fabien worked as a product chemist in the Chanel skincare labs in South France for eight years.
Each of their products were formulated to offer you a simplified approach to maintaining and nourishing your skin. Plant oils are the base ingredient for each product, which is why they do so much to hydrate the skin. You can find a full list of ingredients clearly published on the website. (And I always recommend looking for the ingredient list if you're going for clean beauty products!)
My recommendation is to start with the trio below, blush, bronzer, highlighter, then the zero waste concealer.
Beyond the beautiful plastic-free container, the 100% Vegan Blush Sticks are:
- Cruelty-free Certified
- Eco-Friendly Paper Tube
- Plastic Free Blush Stick
- Conflict-Free, Lab-Made Mica
The color Bloom is my favorite with a soft pink tint that works on skin tones from light to dark. It goes on like a dream, gliding easily over the skin. Blends flawlessly with foundation or concealer or works well to add a touch of color to cheeks even when you're not wearing other makeup. Almost as if I'm adding another layer of skincare to my cheeks.
I love the beautiful Rose-Quartz and Illumi Highlighters. Illumi is a champagne-tinted light-reflecting color to wear day or night that works beautifully on all skin tones. While the Rose-Quartz highlighter lends your skin a refreshed a dewy look with its light reflective qualities.
Just a sweep of the highlighter above the blush will bring out the best in your cheekbones.
I add bronzer across the top of my forehead and in the hollows of my cheeks. This bronzer also doubles as a beautiful eyeshadow!
Zero Waste Concealer
I'm always on the lookout for new products that are organic, but when a company goes the extra mile to include sustainable standards, I'm sold.
River Organics botanical blend zero waste concealer is like a dual-purpose product, it nourishes and corrects skin, hiding dark circles, blemishes, and age spots.
The concealer is hand-poured and made with certified organic shea butter and apricot kernel oil. Pop it in your bag and take it with you anywhere.
Packaging with True Sustainability in Mind
Packaging is as close to zero waste as I've seen in my searching. The tubes are fully compostable. Packaging and shipping are recycled envelopes with sugarcane-based labels that include no extra flyers or added junk. This means less ends up in your waste can.
River Organics uses all-natural and unbleached labels made with naturally occurring fiber that is compostable and biodegradable. The label adhesives have been produced in compliance with major compost standards including international compost standards.
Other sustainability habits they practice include selling imperfects.
A portion of each sale is donated to One Tree Planted. They also sponsor of Plastic Ocean Project, an organization that works toward the prevention and removal of marine plastics on and off-shore.
Other Nourishing, Zero Waste products include:
- Lip stain – The Mulberry Lip Stain is my go-to when I need to add color to my lips. I dislike lipstick, but this lip stain works fine as it isn't sticky or flaky and doesn't have a gross smell. The sultry deep burgundy stain perfects your pout while it helps protect and nourish due to the organic Shea Butter and Jojoba oil.
- Facial Oil – Made with noncomedogenic plum oil which is antioxidant-rich (E, C, and A) and is beneficial in skin cell repair and complexion improvement. Nourishes skin, use it with your gua sha tool, or simply apply it anytime for deep moisturizing.
- Vegan lip balm – An ultra-hydrating un-tinted lip balm that gives lips a shiny hydrated look. All of the ingredients are plant-based and selected for their protective and hydrating qualities, are long-lasting, and made with cacao and mango butter to hydrate lips for hours.
- Brow Wax – Ash is the color I use. You can choose with or without a brush. Using one end of the brush, apply a small amount to the eyebrows, then using the other end, brush into place to tame and lightly tint eyebrows.
- AURA Facial Oil – made with 100% Vegan ingredients and scented with Blood Orange Essential oil
Supporting Small, Local Owned Businesses like River Organics
I've used their beauty products since I first discovered them in 2017, and they're listed as one of my favorite sustainable products on my Waste Free Website.
I'm proud to now be an affiliate for River Organics. When I reached out to the company they weren't doing affiliate marketing at all and that just shows you how amazing their products are that a small business is going strong, making a positive impact on the environment without this type of marketing. They were kind enough to allow me to offer you a 15% discount using coupon code TOM15.
Many of you know that I have stepped up my game when it comes to waste …
Several things hinder many folks from prioritizing environmental issues …
Ultimate Guide to
With convenience in mind, I created The Ultimate Guide to Clean Swaps so you can take the guesswork out of the equation. Enjoy!