On busy mornings it's nice to have a healthy breakfast you can grab and go. Whether you are heading to work or school, eating a filling breakfast not only keeps hunger at bay, but also fuels the brain. These grab and go mini handheld quiche are perfect for Back to School time! Not only do they make a great breakfast, but they can also be packed for a part of a healthy lunch.
I doubled the recipe to use both pie crusts and two muffin pans. Since egg sizes and muffin pan sizes vary, you may or may not have some egg mixture left over. This was the perfect amount for my William Sonoma muffin pan, but my 2nd muffin pan is a little smaller so i had a little bit leftover. I just scrambled that up and cooked it like scrambled eggs to eat myself.
I follow the Trim Healthy Mama weight loss plan so I don’t usually eat traditional pie crust. However, I have made pie crust with the Baking Blend, but now I'm getting off track… Back to the kids quiche!
I plan to add more Back to School recipes over the next month, so make sure you are subscribed to my feed and you follow all my social media!
Mini Quiche for Kids
- 1 crust from a two pack box pie crust (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
- 8 extra large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (you can use any cheese you like, my kids like Pepper Jack, but just use what your kids will eat)
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can sub ham, chicken, or whatever you have and like)
- Add in veggies, maybe ½ cup after sauteed, I used asparagus and leeks
- Salt & Pepper, to taste (the bacon makes it salty so be careful)
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Spray mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- Use a round cookie cutter or large biscuit cutter (I used the ring part of a wide mouth jar lid to cut the pie crust into circles (you may have to roll out dough a second time)
- Place dough circles into muffin tin holes and pop the pan with crusts in it INTO the freezer for 10 minutes
- Pull it back out of the freezer and pre-bake in the ALREADY HOT oven for about 10 minutes. ...
- While it’s baking whisk together eggs and heavy cream until combined very well. (white and yellow are incorporated completely)
- Season with salt and pepper, just a little bit
- Add bacon, veggies, cheese
- After the pie crusts cool off, add egg mixture to the pre baked pie crusts, pop in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes or until the eggs start to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from pan when cooled to touch.
- Serve warm or keeps in fridge to be reheated on busy school mornings.
- Can be stored in fridge 3-4 days or in freezer 2-3 months.