French toast just got easier!
I just know your family will love this easy french toast casserole recipe! French toast is a favorite recipe for many families. If you have a large family or you are cooking for a crowd, here’s a simple way to serve French toast without having to stand over the stove flipping slice after slice! With this casserole recipe, everyone gets to sit down to a warm plate of french toast at the same time!
Serve my easy french toast casserole during the holidays when you need a bit more than the usual breakfast fare but lack time to spend in the kitchen. Add some fruit or breakfast meat on the side if you like. During the season, try mixing in some fresh blueberries or blackberries; it makes the dish almost like a cobbler!
Using cinnamon swirl type bread gives it a distinctive french toast flavor. In the video below, I used a loaf from Trader Joes. In the photos I am using a loaf from Old Mill Bakery, a bread store cafe just down the road from my house. You can also choose to use the cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread or a gluten free bread.
In the past I have made this recipe using regular bread. If you do that, just add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the egg mixture and a dash or two of cinnamon.
Easy french toast casserole is a perfect starter recipe for kids ages 6 – 9 who want to help out in the kitchen. Depending on their skill level and the amount of time they’ve spent learning with you in the kitchen, a young chef might be able to handle this on their own.
I love getting kids in the kitchen. Many elementary age children will be able to slice the bread but use your own discretion. Parental supervision is best when knives or the oven are involved! Most children enjoy cracking eggs open. Toddlers can even help by adding bread cubes to the pan.
- 1 loaf bread cinnamon raisin, cinnamon swirl or whatever you like
- 1 cup almond milk
- 12 eggs
- spray or butter for pan
- maple syrup to top the french toast
- Spray pan with oil (or coat with butter)
- Cut bread into bite-size squares
- Add squares to casserole dish
- Blend eggs & milk with an immersion blender or in a blender till thoroughly combined
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes (tap down bread cubes slightly into the liquid)
- Bake at 350 degrees until set. (about 20-25 minutes)
- Serve with butter and warm maple syrup!
Let me know how you like it!