When you hear the word “detox” does it make you cringe a little? If so, I’d like to work on changing how you think of the word detox!
The definition of detox is:
noun: a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances; detoxification.
verb: abstain from or rid the body of toxic or unhealthy substances.
The detox calendar will help you to do a simple daily detox each day of the month! And the great thing is, you can use it over and over any month of the year. The BEST thing is, there’s a prize! Check it out:
Here are the 31 Simple ways to do a little detox daily. You can do them in order or you can mix them up! Just try to check them all off this month!
1. Sleep, shoot for 8 hours. Read more about good sleep hygiene.
2. Drink plenty of water, preferably filtered. When you are dehydrated your body starts to become fatigued among other things. Keep everything running smoothly by staying hydrated.
3. Use a dry skin brush for at least 3-5 minutes just before showering.
4. Walk every day (2 miles or 30 minutes, whichever comes first.)
5. Drink a detox tea between meals. Try Herbal Papaya or Graviola Leaf.
6. Watch/Read fewer news stories. Listening to bad news multiple times per day does little for one’s outlook on life.
7. Eat more greens at one meal per day; this can be done by eating a salad as a habit for lunch. It’s also fast and easy to prepare.
8. Skip soda (start with one day per week, then work up.) Sodas can cause cravings, tooth decay, weight gain, brittle bones, and more. Diet soda is even worse. Set a goal to reduce or eliminate your soda intake. If you must drink it, save it for very special occasions. (get help from my Quit Soda Guide)
9. Splurge on a massage (or ask your kid, you might be surprised!) Getting a massage has been said to reduce headaches, body aches, enhance the immune system, release toxins, improve digestion, reduce anxiety and even depression. Obviously, massages are part of good health, so if I have to choose between having my nails done or getting a massage, hands down the massage wins!
10. Create a menu plan for one week of dinners. Planning meals in advance instead of at the last minute will allow you time to put more thought into making a well-balanced meal. Plus, eating at home means less sodium, sugar, and unhealthy fats. If you are stumped for ideas, try using a menu service like emeals or join my online cookbook club and try out new cookbooks every month!
11. Practice a breathing technique to reduce stress, relax, or even to fall asleep.
12. Reduce screen time (eliminate screen time within an hour before bedtime.)
13. Try standing at your desk for at least an hour instead of sitting. You can use a makeshift riser to get your keyboard higher. If you find you enjoy it, consider converting to a stand-up desk.
14. Move your body – it doesn’t have to be something you do at the gym. Heck, clean your house, you’ll work up a good sweat.
15. Expand your vegetable horizons… i.e. try a veggie you’ve never had before.
16. Instead of dessert, opt for fruit. Not only does fruit contain less sugar than most desserts, but it also has more fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
17. Make a change in your workout routine! If you normally do cardio, try a yoga class. If you are stuck on the treadmill, try a weightlifting routine. If you don’t workout, start.
18. Add probiotics to your supplement regiment. Eat more prebiotics.
19. Air out your home & unplug any fragrances that are polluting the air in your home. Fragrance is one of the top five household pollutants.
20. Eat a few radishes daily. Radishes contain a unique compound that helps the liver do its job of detoxification. Also, radishes are an excellent source of potassium which supports fluid balance acting as a diuretic. Radishes serve as an antioxidant to prevent cardiovascular disease. Best of all radishes are a cruciferous vegetable containing a compound that reduces inflammation.
21. Do a bone broth or juice fast for one day. Come on, one day! Anyone can do just one day!
22. Learn how to get spicy! Try new spices. Make your own spice blends! Learn to use curry in a few dishes. Curry has turmeric which is anti-inflammatory!
23. Soak in an Epsom Salt bath! Epsom salts or magnesium bath flakes will improve your magnesium levels and help you relax. Try using detox salt tiles!
24. Finish your shower with a cold rinse. Hydrotherapy is an ancient healing technique that supports your lymphatic system to move toxins out of your body!
25. Drink a green juice instead of coffee one morning! Stop at a juice bar if you don’t have a juicer!
26. Ditch your plastic water bottle and opt for a glass or stainless steel version instead.
27. Print, carry and use the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen guide when buying produce.
28. Track your fiber intake with an app like Cronometer or MyFitnessPal. If you aren’t getting at least 20 grams of fiber, try to up your intake.
29. Add a superfood to every meal! Walnuts, salmon, berries, spinach, bee pollen there are plenty, so mix it up.
30. Skip white foods. Ditch sugar, white flour, etc. Make it your goal to eliminate the white stuff from your pantry!
31. Listen to nature sounds and relax! Studies show that listening to nature can help to reduce stress levels and even anxiety!
Don’t forget to pin this post and use it every month you want to do a simple daily detox!