Lemongrass Seafood Soup with Bunashimeji Mushrooms
Yield 6 servings
- 1 quart chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 can coconut milk *see note
- several stalks of lemongrass, cut lengthwise
- chunk of ginger
- 1 tsp oil of choice (I use avocado oil)
- Bunashimeji (Beech) Mushrooms, often found in Asian markets, local farmers markets, Whole Foods and other health food stores (or substitute any other mushroom you like)
- Sliced portobello mushrooms (or any mushrooms you like)
- 16 ounces or more Seafood blend (shrimp, scallops, calamari) *see note
- 2 Tablespoons Green Curry Paste
- Dash of Red Boat Fish Sauce
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Clove of garlic, minced (one or more depending on your preference)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Green onions, sliced, optional for topping
- Freshcap Mushroom powder (any kind), optional but highly recommended if you wanna feel amazing!
- Add cut lemongrass stalks to the bottom of your soup pot, cover with the quart of broth, let simmer for 15-20 minutes to infuse the broth with lemongrass flavor, then REMOVE stalks. *see note
- Stir in curry paste.
- Sauté shallot, ginger, garlic one minute, then add mushrooms and sauté till tender.
- Add shallot, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, and coconut milk to broth and turn heat down to low. *see note
- Sauté seafood just until done then add to broth.
- Squeeze lime juice into broth, add dash of Fish Sauce, Sat and Pepper.
- Top with green onions & lime zest.
- Lemongrass stalks can be woody, and are often hard to chew, so take them out of the soup broth unless you want to just avoid them while eating. I left mine in to add flavor, but just avoided them when eating the soup.
- If you like a creamier soup, add two cans of coconut milk.
- Trader Joes has a bag of seafood blend (frozen) that is perfect for this recipe!
Recipe by That Organic Mom at https://www.thatorganicmom.com/lemongrass-seafood-soup-mushrooms/