- 1 onion, diced
- Avocado oil for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef or bison
- 1/3 cup sliced pimento stuffed green olives
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Adobo Seasoning (or just make your own, that's what I do! *see below)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped, optional
- 1 bag frozen baby plantain from Trader Joe's or 6-8 plantains, depending on size
- Mozzarella cheese 1-2 cups depending on your preference
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons of water
My Adobo Seasoning:
- 1 1/2 TBSP Salt
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons Baobab powder, optional(you can also add garlic powder, about 1 tsp, but I prefer fresh garlic and I have that listed in the filling.
- Brown the ground beef with diced onion and garlic, drain grease if necessary
- Add spices (adobo) + S&P
- Add tomato sauce, olives, raisins and simmer about 5 minutes while you prepare the plaintain
- If using large plantain, slice vertically and saute in pan till soft. (using a Mandolin Slicer helps!)
- If using frozen small plantain, let thaw, smash, then saute.
- After all the plantain are cooked, add one layer to the bottom of the pan
- Top with half the meat filling.
- Top with half the cheese.
- Repeat the plantain and meat mixture.
- Beat egg and water mixture VERY thoroughly and pour over entire mixture to hold everything together.
- AFTER the egg mixture, add the final top cheese layer.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, careful not to let cheese get too brown.
- Allow lasagna to sit for 15 minutes before cutting/serving.
Goes great with coleslaw!
*Adobo seasoning is easy to make if you can't find it and goes great with Latin foods. I've found that many seasoning blends have either maltodextrin or monosodium glutamate or other undesirable additives, so I just make my own.
Recipe by That Organic Mom at https://www.thatorganicmom.com/golden-lasagna-pastelon/